Salt Cravings and Adrenal Fatigue
Salt cravings could be a sign of Adrenal Fatigue. The adrenal glands sit on top of your kidneys and secrete several hormones including…
- Cortisol – a hormone to help you cope with stress
- Adrenalin – associated with fear, stress and excitement, increases heart rate and blood pressure.
- Androgens – sex hormones, mainly testosterone, which is the precursor to oestrogen
- Aldosterone – balances water and sodium (salt) ratios and regulates blood volume and pressure.
Aldosterone acts on the collecting ducts in the kidneys to conserve sodium, which helps regulate fluid balance around cells and in the bloodstream (volume and pressure). In Adrenal Fatigue, Aldosterone (and the other adrenal hormones) may become depleted, leading to sodium loss through the kidneys and bladder. The body needs to replace this lost sodium as it is an essential electrolyte for optimal nerve and muscle function. It does this by creating salt cravings in the individual affected.
This is just one sign of Adrenal Fatigue; there are lots more.
- Fatigue, often with the feeling of wired but tired
- Lack of energy in the morning
- Brain fog
- Anxiety or depression
- Running out of puff at around 3pm.
- Weight gain
- Lack of libido
The good news is that Adrenal Fatigue can be treated; it just takes a little time because of the complex nature of the condition and the multitude of body systems it affects. There are some wonderful herbs in the “adaptogen” category that can nourish the adrenal glands and improve the gut-brain axis. There are also several nutritional supplements and amino acids that can assist with the function of the numerous biological pathways involved in neurotransmitter production.
I am available for online consultations via Zoom or in clinic. If you would like to book an appointment, click the link below. Schedule Appointment